Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Bicycle Wheels and other Bicycle topics.
Stay true to your wheels! Mountain bikers who are continuously running over rocks and roots (or even falling over) need to true their bike wheels more often than most. To true your wheel, follow these simple steps:
• Spin the wheels to make sure they spin smoothly
• If your wheels do not spin smoothly, take the locknut, washer and cone off
• Take out the axle by sliding it from the other side, catching the bearings as they fall
• Clean everything up, use new bearings, and use a good bicycle grease
• Put everything back into place
• Once you put the wheel back on, make sure there is no play and that it spins freely